The Maryland APSE Chapter presented testimony on February 10 in Annapolis at the bill hearing for the Equal Employment Act in Maryland in Annapolis (HB420/ SB 41).
Maryland APSE strongly supports HB 420/SB 417 – Ken Capone Equal Employment Act and is supportive of legislative and policy actions regarding sub-minimum wages that contain the following elements:
- Placing a time limit on the use of prevocational services on an individual basis
- Ending the placement in a job at sub-minimum wage as an acceptable outcome for transition services under IDEA
- Eliminating the use of sub-minimum wage by new entrants into the adult service system
- Ending the issuance of new special wage certificates for organizations
- Creating an end date by which sub-minimum wage would be discontinued.
- Prohibiting the use of sheltered employment settings as part of transition
Download/Read the Full Testimony: