The first national certification program for employment support professionals.
What is CESP™ Certification?
The CESP™ program is the first in the nation to create national guidelines to validate and support the training currently provided in the field. The certification program falls under the oversight of the Employment Support Professional Certification Council (ESPCC), established by the APSE Board of Directors.
Unlike training programs that provide a certificate of completion, the CESP™ certification sets a standard of knowledge and distinguishes employment support professionals who have shown they have the skill and competence to perform the requirements of the job.
Created by subject matter experts and leaders in the field of disability employment, the CESP™ exam seeks to define the benchmarks for knowledge and competency in the field in the following areas:
- Application of Core Values and Principles to Practice & Legislation and Funding
- Individualized Assessment and Employment / Career Planning
- Community Research and Job Development
- Workplace and Related Supports
- Ongoing Supports
As of October 2016, there are 1,719 CESP’s™ professionals throughout the country.
Who Should Get Certified?
The ESPCC developed the CESP™ for professionals who provide employment services to individuals with a variety of disabilities including intellectual, mental health, autism spectrum disorders and multiple physical & sensory disabilities.
Job coaches, job developers, transition employment specialists, job placement personnel, and employment specialists/consultants* can earn the designation of Certified Employment Support Professional (CESP™) by passing the national CESP™ examination.
The CESP™ Certification Program was created in response to increasing demand for a system to identify trained, experienced employment specialists. CESP™ certification has many benefits for both programs and professionals.
For Provider Agencies and Community Rehabilitation Programs, CESP™ certification:
- Increases the visibility of competent professionals.
- Helps consumers connect with professionals they can trust.
- Creates a standard that defines the roles and responsibilities of employment support professionals.
- Improves employability and provides opportunities for salary and career advancement.
- Legitimizes and enhances professionalism in the field.
For Employment Support Professionals, CESP™ certification:
- Increases your marketing edge with employers and businesses
- Assures the public and consumers of your commitment to best practices
- Validates your commitment to ethical and safety standards
For more information, or to sponsor an exam session in your state, please contact:
APSE National Office: 612-385-5122 or send us an email.