APSE’s Public Policy staff work with other advocacy organizations, Congress, and the Administration to ensure our national policies meet the goal of improving integrated employment outcomes for individuals with disabilities.
Over the past 25 years, APSE has pursued specific legislative and policy changes that include:
- Promoting employment opportunities for all people, through local, regional, and national networks.
- Placing an Employment First presumption in major disability laws.
- Increasing reimbursement for providers who achieve employment outcomes at minimum wage or higher for individuals with disabilities, particularly from Medicaid funds.
- Advocating with federal, state, and local legislators for legislation that promotes integrated employment.
- Working with federal, state, and local policy makers to increase funding for integrated employment.
- Raising awareness within the business community to the benefits of hiring individuals with disabilities.
- Requiring that public programs blend and braid resources on behalf of those with significant disabilities.
- Advocating for social change to help those with severe disabilities achieve a lifestyle just like those of individuals without disabilities.