October is National Disability Awareness Month
There are many opportunities for APSE members and state chapters to get involved!
- APSE will be sharing stories of competitive, integrated employment (CIE) from across the country via social media throughout the month of October. Our goal is to have at least one story to share from every state, telling stories about transition from school, day habilitation and/or "sheltered workshops," and sharing examples of customized employment leading to CIE.
- APSE will be educating and advocating in support of proposed legislation that advances the goals of Employment First. We are excited for the opportunity to partner with the Harkin Institute in the development of an NDEAM Advocacy Resource Sheet to help advocates engage with their Members of Congress in October.
- Through partnership with the Coalition to Promote Self-Determination (CPSD), APSE will participate in a Congressional Briefing on Successes of People with Disabilities Transitioning to Competitive, Integrated Employment on Monday, October 28. We are thrilled that APSE will be represented via the participation of Bill and Kyle Stumpf, a father and son advocate team from Iowa, on the panel. Special thanks to Iowa APSE and the Iowa Developmental Disabilities Council for their support!
- Send a CIE success story and photo from your state to firstname.lastname@example.org to be included in the NDEAM campaign.
- Share the NDEAM Advocacy Resource Sheet with your network and encourage advocates to get involved - particularly during the first two weeks of October, when your Members of Congress will be home in their states/districts.
- Re-post APSE success stories on your own social media channels.
- Tag National APSE on your own NDEAM posts throughout the month.
- Call, tweet and/or meet with your Members of Congress and tell them why their support of Employment First and competitive, integrated employment is so important (our NDEAM Advocacy Resource Sheet is a helpful guide for talking points and questions you can ask).
Advocacy in Action
Every day is an opportunity to engage in policy and advocacy and promote Employment First!
Ways to engage:
- Call your state legislators and/or members of Congress (U.S. Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121 or Google the phone number for your local office)
- Provide your name and city/state where you live
- Briefly share your thoughts on the issues that matter to you
- Share your personal stories
- Additional talking points on the policy priorities of APSE are available on our website.
- Send a Tweet or a Facebook Message to your members.
Advocacy in Action
Read below to learn about APSE's latest accomplishments surrounding public policy and advocacy.
As the only national, non-profit membership organization dedicated to Employment First – a vision that all people with disabilities have a right to competitive employment…Read More