Tell Congress #WeAreEssential
Tell Congress to address the critical needs of people with disabilities in the next COVID-19 relief package!
The House of Representatives recently passed the HEROES Act (HR 6800), which includes several important provisions that we need to remain in the final package. We now need the Senate to take action and to understand that #WeAreEssential.
Tell your Senators that we need the following to be included in Package 4:
- Additional FMAP bump to assist states in meeting the needs of Medicaid eligible citizens
- Dedicated Medicaid funding for HCBS services, including employment services
- Hazard pay, overtime pay, shift differential pay and access to personal protective equipment for DSPs, including job coaches and job developers
- State education stabilization fund that includes a requirement for no waivers to IDEA
Steps for State Advocacy
Tell Governors to classify Direct Support Professionals as essential staff!
Job Coaches and other Direct Support Professionals are essential to ensuring the safety and health of people with disabilities who receive employment supports. Many people with disabilities work in jobs that are considered “essential” and are reporting to work at healthcare facilities, grocery stores and the like.
However, Direct Support Professionals (including Job Coaches) are not often thought of when essential staff exemptions are established.
- Issue an executive order designating direct support professionals as “essential workers”
- Publicly recognize the important work direct support professionals do in the community
- Encourage displaced workers to consider applying for jobs as Direct Support Professionals
Advocacy in Action
Every day is an opportunity to engage in policy and advocacy and promote Employment First!
Ways to engage:
- Call your state legislators and/or members of Congress (U.S. Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121 or Google the phone number for your local office)
- Provide your name and city/state where you live
- Briefly share your thoughts on the issues that matter to you
- Share your personal stories
- Additional talking points on the policy priorities of APSE are available on our website.
- Send a Tweet or a Facebook Message to your members.
It is a critical time for advocacy for the needs of people with disabilities and the service system that supports them. For more information, check…Read More
COVID-19: What Was Included in Package #3? Thank you for your advocacy in support of the COVID-19 Stimulus Package #3, which was signed into law late…Read More
APSE is a national, member-based organization dedicated to the goal of improving employment outcomes for people with disabilities. Our members include supported workers, supported employment…Read More