APSE Policy Achievements
APSE’s public policy advocates harness the power of our membership as we work in collaboration with other advocacy organizations, Congress, and the Administration. At the core, our goals are to secure gains already made and to strengthen national policies that improve integrated employment outcomes for individuals with disabilities.
Over the past 30 years, APSE has pursued specific legislative and policy changes that include:
- Promoting employment opportunities for all people, through local, regional, and national networks.
- Placing an Employment First presumption in major disability laws.
- Advocating for higher reimbursement rates for providers who reach Employment First milestones, incentivizing employment as a services option.
- Advocating with federal, state, and local policymakers for legislation that promotes integrated employment.
- Working with federal, state, and local policy makers to increase funding for integrated employment.
- Raising awareness within the business community of the benefits of hiring individuals with disabilities.
- Requiring that public programs blend and braid resources on behalf of those with significant disabilities to achieve optimal outcomes.
- Advocating for social change to help those with disabilities achieve the lifestyles they choose.
APSE’s Legislative Action Center keeps you up to date on the policy changes that could impact Employment First – and provides the tools and tips to make your advocacy easy and effective.
APSE is the forefront of policy and advocacy on Employment First.
—Carrie O’Connell, Director of Day Work, Employment Service and Transportation, Ability Beyond, Bethel, CT
Employment used to be the quietest voice in the room, but we’re getting louder and need to stay loud. With APSE’s help, we will.
—Kate Travis, Assistant Service Director, Ability Beyond, Bethel, CT