Share Your Thoughts TODAY to Support Equal Pay for People with Disabilities!
Ideas to Include in your comments:
- If you are a person with a disability or a family member of a person with a disability, talk about why a community job at fair pay is important to you and/or your family. Think about relationships with co-workers, how you and/or your family member have grown in your job position, and opportunities to go into the broader community.
- If you and/or your family member have ever been paid subminimum wages, talk about how that made you feel and about your transition from sheltered work to Competitive Integrated Employment (CIE).
- If you are an employment provider, talk about how you support people with disabilities in competitive integrated employment. If you are a provider who has transitioned away from using 14(c) certificates, talk about that experience.
- If you are an employer, talk about your experience with employees with disabilities. Think about their contributions to your workplace and how you have been able to ensure their success.
- If you are an advocate familiar with disability employment trends in your state, share information about that progress. Think about which policies have advanced CIE and how your state may be moving away from using sheltered workshops.
Read 14(c) Commentary from the APSE Community
Advocacy in Action
Read below to learn about APSE's latest accomplishments surrounding public policy and advocacy.
As the only national, non-profit membership organization dedicated to Employment First – a vision that all people with disabilities have a right to competitive employment…Read More