APSE Member and Chapter Engagement Director
Director, Member and Chapter Engagement
DESCRIPTION: The Association for People Supporting Employment First (APSE) is seeking a Member and Chapter Engagement Director. APSE, a 501(c)6 non-profit located in Rockville, MD, is a 3,000+ national and international membership association whose mission is to advance employment and self-sufficiency for all people with disabilities through education and advocacy. APSE is recognized as the leader in the Employment First field.
This position will serve to enhance the APSE message through actively engaging and growing members and chapters throughout the United States.
Reporting to the Executive Director and serving as an integral member of the national team, the Director of Membership and Chapter Engagement will be the staff liaison between the APSE national office and its membership, including 41 state chapters. The goal is to coordinate information and to support chapter members—and to increase APSE membership. This full-time, salaried position will be
located at the APSE National Office in the Rockville, MD.
The Ideal Candidate:
The Director will be responsible for cultivating a systemic approach to membership development and chapter growth. They will create and implement a membership development plan for APSE and will
work collaboratively with chapter leaders, the APSE staff, and others to coordinate activities. This role assists chapters to enhance their local activities, including education, membership development, public
relations, and grassroots efforts. The Director will be responsible for facilitating bi-directional and effective communications between the national office and chapters and for a variety of audiences. The
Director of Membership and Chapter Relations will be responsible for working with the communications team on APSE’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: member
communications; webinar development and execution, and participation in the planning and execution of national and regional conferences.
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
• Demonstrated commitment to competitive inclusive employment for people with disabilities, APSE’s values and mission, and the Employment First movement.
• A strong work ethic that drives their sense of creative leadership sufficient to reach strategic
• A personality that balances independence and collaboration in order to accomplish work.
• Comfort with ambiguity and uncertainty, with simultaneous commitment to organizational
values and goals.
• An even temperament, balancing patience, persistence, humor, determination, and flexibility.
• Demonstrated exceptional expressive and receptive communication skills, verbal, non-verbal, written, and otherwise.
• Demonstrated leadership skills in managing teams, including meeting planning, strategic growth, and facilitation skills.
• Capable of setting priorities when multiple demands are present, comfort negotiating timelines in order to manage those priorities.
• Creative and thoughtful on how new technologies, systems, or processes can be utilized to improve work.
• Experience in planning, writing, and editing of marketing literature and other print publications.
• Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and outcomes.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive.
• Familiarity or ability to learn APSE standard office technologies quickly to a level of proficiency: MS Office Suite, Survey Monkey, and Survey Monkey Apply, YourMembership, Constant Contact, Go-To-Meeting, etc.
• A commitment to non-partisanship.
- Membership Development and Engagement
• Develop/implement membership growth and engagement plan.
• Manage all operational aspects of the membership database (YourMembership platform), including day to day functions, developing training and FAQs for users, providing on-demand
support for members and staff, running reports, using metrics to inform other areas of work within the organization.
• Manage/build communication channels with members. Collaborate with other staff to develop and deliver relevant content.
• Coordinate/convene professional development opportunities for membership in collaboration with other APSE staff.
- Chapter Development and Engagement
• Build and nurture relationships with chapter leaders by establishing regular contact and serving as a ready resource.
• Assist chapters in their activities, including government and public relations.
• Target states and regions where chapters need development and work with local membership to establish new, thriving state chapters.
• Create and deliver chapter leadership training opportunities to build capacity of local leaders.
• Support the work of the National Chapter Delegates.
- Annual Conference Activities
• Oversee and organize all chapter-related and member engagement activities at conference.
• Serve as an integral member of the national conference planning team.
• Manage all vendor relations, including A/V, CART and ASL interpretation, etc.
• Support and coordinate sponsor/exhibitor contracts and relationships.
• Serve as main point of contact for site hotel, manage food/beverage orders and banquet event orders.
• Serve as liaison to selected committees: advise chair, attend meetings, facilitate communication amongst and between other committee and staff teams.
• Be onsite for the event. (travel required)
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit resume and cover letter by email Jenny Stonemeier, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary commensurate with experience. APSE offers medical (health, vision, dental) plans, life insurance, SIMPLE IRA (matching contribution), and disability. Generous PTO and holidays.
MINIMUM EDUCATION REQUIRED: