Prepare for the Exam
The Employment Support Professional Certification Council (ESPCC) does not recommend or endorse a study guide or test preparation program. The CESP™ examination was designed to test the application of knowledge and skills one uses in their role as an employment professional. Any coursework or training that contributes to professional development would be beneficial, but not necessary, while preparing to take the exam.
APSE knows that many people want to prepare. Therefore we provide background information, tips, and tools to help you feel confident and comfortable on exam day.
CESP™ Free Informational Webinar
- Discover more about certification, accreditation, and the benefits of certification
- Review the development of the CESP™ certification exam
- Review exam eligibility requirements
- Learn how to prepare for the exam
- Find out what to do before, during, and after the exam
CESP™ Certification Handbook
- Find comprehensive information on the CESP™ certification program
- Read an overview of the exam content outline
- Prepare for the exam through review
Exam Day Instructions
- Bring a photo ID to verify your identity – there is no admission to the examination without proper identification. Your name on your ID must match the name on the application.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes prior to the exam starting time (late arrivals will not be permitted to enter the exam)
- Expect to complete the exam within the three hours allotted for testing (excluding check in time)
- NO conversing or other form of communication among candidates is permitted once you enter the examination area.
- Feel free to check out upon completion and leave the exam early
- Do not bring any notebooks or other reference materials to the exam session
- Do not bring any materials or supplies
- No electronic devices are allowed in the testing area (excluding approved accommodations).
Please read the Candidate Handbook for a full list of exam day instructions and expectations.
The CESP™ exam is a multiple-choice exam administered during an allotted time of three hours. The CESP™ exam is a scenario based exam based on the skills and information an employment support professional uses every day. The test presents fictional situations similar to those typically encountered by employment specialists. Test takers must select the most appropriate and effective strategy for the scenario. The exam assesses the candidate’s ability to apply knowledge to context rather than their ability to memorize facts.
The exam is currently provided in paper and pencil format at proctored locations. This will change to be computer-based testing with a third party vendor, PSI, in July/August 2018.
|Exam Version||Passing Score||# Scored Items||# Non-Scored Items||Time Limit|
|Version 1||70%||114||21||180 minutes|
|Version 2||76%||122||13||180 minutes|
|Version 3||75%||126||9||180 minutes|
The exam is based on the results of a national role delineation study. Subject matter experts were polled on the basic skills and knowledge they believe to be an essential foundation to work in this field. The study’s results shape the detailed content outline. Candidates should carefully review the content outline, as they prepare for the exam. The study identified five core areas as crucial for the ability to work as a supported employment specialist. The exam questions address each of these five areas. The approximate frequency of questions on topic is provided in parentheses as indicated in percentages.
- Application of Core Values and Principles to Practice & Legislation and Funding (13% to 17%)
- Individualized Assessment and Employment / Career Planning (23%-29%)
- Community Research and Job Development (19%-25%)
- Workplace and Related Supports (27%-33%)
- Ongoing Support (6%-8%)
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-279-0060.
Follow CESP™ on Twitter and Facebook for information and updates.