Chapter Training & Events
More Information Coming Soon!
Policy & Advocacy
Public Policy Liaison
Stephanie J Lau
State Employment First Efforts: Legislation & Directive/Executive Order
- VA Legislation (passed): Joint Virginia Senate and Senate Resolution, passed in 2012 (SJ 127), encouraging the Secretary of Health and Human Resources and the Superintendent of Public Instruction to adopt and implement Employment First practices in providing and coordinating services to Virginians with disabilities.
- VA DBHDS Policy on Employment First: December 2012 Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services Policy 1044 (SYS) 12-1 on Employment First.
- VA DOJ Settlement Agreement Mandating Employment First Policy: Department of Justice settlement with the state of Virginia mandating implementation of an Employment First policy.
- VA DBHDS Strategic Plan for Employment First: October 2012 Strategic Plan for Employment First, issued by Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services.
- VCU Employment First website: Information on Employment First in Virginia from the Virginia Commonwealth University Center on Transition, featuring a series of videos.
Contact Your Governor
Contact your state governor. Virginia General Assembly
Find the names and current activities of your state legislators. Find Your U.S. Senators
Contact your state’s senators in the U.S. Senate. Find Your U.S. Representatives
Contact your representatives in the U.S. House of Representatives.
CIE Success Story: Meet Mike
Teens with Asperger’s Syndrome Transition into Adulthood posted at www.TimesDispatch.com; November 8, 2014
- This article was shared by Betsy Elwood, VA APSE member and vocational rehabilitation counselor at VA DARS. Betsy has worked with Kathleen since she was a student in Chesterfield County.