Marketing and Communications Manager
The Association for People Supporting Employment First (APSE) is seeking a Marketing and Communications Manager. APSE, a 501(c)6 non-profit located in Rockville, MD, is a 3,000+ national and international membership association whose mission is to advance employment and self-sufficiency for all people with disabilities through education and advocacy. APSE is recognized as the leader in the Employment First field. This position will serve to enhance the APSE message through actively creating and managing content that advances the organization’s mission.
About the Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience building and engaging a brand or organization’s follower base through genuine, thoughtful, and interesting content and conversation. Additionally, they will understand that offline community building can be just as powerful as online social channels and won’t be afraid to think beyond traditional methods to engage, educate and advocate for equitable employment for people with disabilities.
The ideal candidate will be able to identify which voices are being heard in these conversations and which voices are not heard. They will advocate for the inclusion of additional voices and stories and create content that reflects the broadening conversation around Employment First.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing and Communications Manager is responsible for overseeing and managing the marketing, communications, and messaging to all internal and external stakeholders and members within the APSE community. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
Oversee the organization’s communications:
- Develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan, supporting APSE’s Strategic Plan that includes achievable goals and performance measures.
- Collaborate with APSE professional and volunteer teams to implement strategic marketing and communications plan.
- Draft the content of 3 monthly e-communications for a variety of audiences in conjunction with APSE staff;
- Manage the organization’s online communities and social media presence.
- Manage content for APSE website and work with APSE staff to update content regularly.
- Manage components of contracts with partner businesses that focus on cross-marketing;
- Reinforce that all APSE messaging (external and internal) follow the APSE brand;
Lead marketing of the organization’s membership and engagement efforts:
- Design engaging, mobile-friendly, and accessible communications to a variety of audiences.
- Work with APSE teams to create visually engaging marketing materials and resources (membership, training, CESP candidates/certificants).
- Manage all aspects of APSE National Conference marketing and APSE trainings/webinars, including creative content development.
Maintain the integrity of communications and marketing data:
- Work with APSE teams to support the management of infrastructure systems (i.e., membership database, online community, website, social media, and other information portals, etc.).
- Conduct an analysis with recommendations for the best communication channels.
- Access and utilize demographic datasets to inform APSE marketing/communications messaging.
The ideal candidate will bring to this position a commitment to competitive inclusive employment for people with disabilities, APSE’s values and mission, and the Employment First movement.
The preferred candidate will have:
- A strong sense of strategic planning to drive achievement of marketing/communications strategic goals.
- Demonstrated success increasing engagement and audience size on a daily, weekly, and quarterly basis across a variety of digital platforms.
- Accomplished writer with excellent grammar and editing skills, and the ability to analyze and distill information into audience-specific content.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once and move projects ahead efficiently.
- Basic knowledge of CSS/HTML preferred.
- Experience with content creation and management – managing images, video, and producing to create unique and engaging content that tells a story.
- Experience contributing digital expertise to larger offline community marketing efforts like events, partnership activities, customer/member marketing, and others.
- Demonstrated ability to access, understand, and utilize marketing data (internal and external) to inform work.
- An ability to balance patience, persistence, humor, determination, and flexibility.
- The ability to discover new communities to engage with online.
- A strong commitment to continuous improvement and personal development.
Specific position requirements include:
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree (minimum).
- Minimum of three (3) to five (5) years in marketing and communications in the trade association and/or non-profit sector—or a sufficient combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge and experience using membership database systems and online communication platforms. APSE currently uses Your Membership, Constant Contact, Higher Logic, SurveyMonkey. Graphic design software experience preferred.
- Skilled website (WordPress) management; mastery preferred.
- Graphic design and other creative content development for both print and digital media.
- Sufficient diversity of knowledge and skills to effectively manage APSE’s public policy efforts including policy planning and development, advocacy, communication strategies, and building of partnerships and coalitions.
- Ability to set, pursue, and achieve marketing and communications goals.
- Strong ability to manage and negotiate competing priorities.
This position is fulltime (40 hours/week), exempt employee status, and based at APSE’s Rockville office. Position available for telecommute for the right candidate. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
APSE offers medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, a generous PTO package, and matching contribution to employee SIMPLE IRA account.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to Jenny Stonemeier, email@example.com with Marketing and Communications Manager in the subject line. No phone calls, please.